Ads Top

Show goes on for Charmaine Sheh despite spinal problem

Hong Kong actress Charmaine Sheh opens up about her health condition, and reveals why she told all her friends not to get her any birthday gifts this year.





SINGAPORE: She had been in a lot of pain, experienced numbness in her right arm, and had to take some strong medication these past weeks because of a nasty spinal problem.

But Hong Kong actress Charmaine Sheh is now up and about.

Sheh told reporters her health has improved quite a bit, when she met the media while filming scenes for her new telemovie “A Time of Love”, at the StarHub Green in Singapore on Thursday.

“I am undergoing physiotherapy and I’m a lot better, though there are still actions that I can’t do, like turning my head quickly, or tilting my head up,” said Sheh.

While she is feeling less pain now, Sheh said her road to recovery will be a long one.

“Treatment will take weeks. They’ll also need to use machines to slowly realign my vertebrae,” said the 38-year-old actress.

Undercover blues

Although Sheh is still grappling with her condition, she’ll soon have to embark on another new project, “The Apostle”, a Hong Kong drama in which she plays an undercover investigator, after completing "A Time of Love".

“I’m concerned about the show (‘The Apostle’), because it has a lot of action sequences,” said Sheh.

“The producer and director are very understanding, and told me they‘d try as much as possible to find body doubles for me.

“But as an actress, I don’t really like to use body doubles and want to do everything myself.”

When asked why she didn’t wait till she was fully recovered before accepting the role in “The Apostle”, Sheh said it was “a complicated problem” as she had to weigh her health concerns against her interest in the project.

“I already agreed to do it last year. I am really interested to play the role because I’ve never played an undercover investigator before.

“She is also a lively undercover agent, not the usual serious sort, so I’m really keen to work on the show,” said Sheh enthusiastically.

“I’ll try to be careful. But it has 30 episodes, so I’ll take it slow and hope nothing happens!”



Love can wait, health comes first

Sheh went on to reveal that her condition made her think about just how reckless she had been in her youth.

“When I was younger, I wasn’t afraid of anything. You could ask me to jump off a car roof, or fly from here to there, and I’d do it.

“I have suffered injuries to my waist, neck, legs and arms. Now that I’m getting older, all these past injuries are acting up,” said Sheh.

“That’s why I feel health is most important!  I told all my friends not to buy me any birthday gifts this year, but wish me good health instead!”

Perhaps she should find a boyfriend to care for her?

“It’s not a bad idea!” said the actress, after pausing to think about the suggestion.

“But really, I just want to get well this year. Of course if someone courts me, I’ll be really happy, though I’ll only think about it after I recover. “

“If my Prince Charming turns up, I’ll let everyone know!”

1 comment:

  1. I thought her injury has already recovered :( poor charmaine :(

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.